As some of you might be aware, part way through last year I attempted to create a modular BMG Board that used magnets to hold everything together while also providing me with what I thought would be an almost endless stream of variations as new board sections were created. No plan survives initial contact with the enemy though and after a while it became readily apparent that I needed a new strategy. The pieces I had ordered didn't fit quite right, nor did the pieces that I had cut to act as the ‘pavement’ to provide a distinct recess for the road sections to pass through. In the end, I decided to admit defeat and look for a new approach. A new opportunity arrived in the form of a sizable piece of MDF coming into my possession that was close to the dimensions that I required for a Batman table. Sure it was a little larger, but that’s all part of the fun right? With a surface to work with, it was time to play Town Planner...
Diving into the design process, I went for a fairly standard table design – a short section of road that runs up the centre of the table from one side, before turning 90 degrees and heading off to an cross intersection that was positioned off board. This not only gives me the opportunity to use the myriad of model cars I've been slowly collecting, but also leaves us with plenty of room to put up buildings and other structures that are essential for building an effective battleground. After the design was completed, I started the process of measuring, marking and cutting each of the panels to create my city blocks.
After the construction was completed, I took the table to my local gaming club to see how it fared. While the table itself went well, transport issues became immediately apparent after the table flexed in transit and caused the corner of one of the panels to lift up. Another brief trip to the local hardware store saw the purchase of several lengths of 18 x 18 mm timber that would act as a frame work for the outside of the table and prevent it from flexing. Once this was complete, I realised that another set would be required for the interior framework that would protect the now largely unsupported middle that would no doubt immediately flex if someone was to lean on it.
With the construction process completed, I'm now up to the painting stage, however that requires some additional work yet as I want to include a number of details that are normally seen in an urban environment. However that is an article for another time.
Catch you all later,