Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2016

Gotham City Streets Mk II – Painting

Sourced from http://www.aneelneupane.com/cityscapes/ 
Continuing the progress I’ve been making on my latest gaming table (first part can be found here) I’ve begun the painting process that will hopefully transform this table into something spectacular. 





After completing the construction of the table in the previous article, it was time to begin the painting process.  One of the things I learned from the previous table project is that while aiming for a level of realism is good, ensuring that the table is functional must be the highest priority.  To that end, I picked up a sample pot of standard black paint (non-textured to prevent bases from catching / tipping) and had a pot of a very light grey mixed as well.  Once the paint was secured, I gave the entire table an undercoat using a can of black spray paint (yes, it took the entire can – MDF is thirsty) and allowed that to dry in the sun.  Using a set of rollers, I then painted the footpaths before moving onto the roads.  One of the things I learned at this point (after some instances that resulted in me having to repaint stuff) is to always ‘cut-in’ your paint job with a paint brush or purpose-built tool.  Had I thought of this from the get-go I think the project would have gone much smoother indeed.  The result was a smooth playing surface with crisp lines and epic contrast.





With the basics done, it was time for detail!  Since the table incorporated a fairly sizable intersection, pedestrian crossings and other line markings seemed to be the easiest way to add an awesome level of detail to the area without having to go overboard with intricate details.  My first attempt at a pedestrian crossing was done using free-hand work and while it was decent enough (kinda, sorta), it didn't meet my exacting standards so I needed another way to make it happen.  My loving and ever-inspirational wifey suggested that I use tape to create a framework and the results far and away exceeded than my paltry initial attempt.







With all the painting completed, where was little left but to try the table out and see how it goes...








Next time: Weathering!

Catch you all later,


Trev

No comments:

Post a Comment